Ayurvedic Living Nutrition
"Nourishment by the Elements, every tree, plant, shrub, herb, fruit and seed possesses the life-giving juice rasa, the essence of which has been refined since the beginning of life."
Ancient Wisdom ~ Modern Science
Ayurveda is based on the belief that nothing is right for everyone and everything is right for someone. This belief comes from an understanding that each of us is unique. Simply put, each of us is biochemically different, with different hormonal, enzyme and neurotransmitter levels. Each person reacts to the world in different ways. If we are all different, why would we even consider the idea that there must be one program of nutrition that is best for everyone? Where did the concept come from?
What should an individual do? There are thousands of ideas on the bookshelves about how to eat and stay healthy. There are diets named after the people who wrote the books, diets named after the foods eaten, diets named after blood types and diets that promise to keep you in the "zone". New books and ideas are published every month. Ayurveda is a 5000 year old science that aims to help a person understand what is right for them as a unique individual. By evaluating how a person's digestive system, nervous system and other systems of the body function and by evaluating a person's body structure, a Clinical Ayurvedic Specialist designs a diet specific to clients needs.
What is Ayurvedic Nutrition?
Ayurveda is a wholistic health-care system that recognizes that every action we take in life has a reaction. Thus it is a science of bringing awareness to all of our actions: how and what we eat, how we live, what we think, how we relate intimately with others and ourselves. In a practical format we will explore the influence of vital energies of foods, herbs and spices on our well being. Ayurveda is a compassionate journey of self-discovery, providing you with the tools to becoming your own best doctor.
Everything we take into our bodies' influences our well-being. Ayurveda teaches that foods are carriers and balancers of Prana, the Vital Life Force. Each food has its own unique characteristics of energy and flavor through which it produces a specific effect on our constitution. We will explore these origin concepts.
Ayurveda is the art of conscious living, meaning "Knowledge of Life." This system uses natural whole foods to both treat and prevent illness. It is the original way of life ~ the original approach to eating according to what Mother Nature gifted us with.
What is Living Nutrition?
Living-Foods are the original foods that Mother Nature gave us. These foods have the full life force, and the highest amount of bioactive food nutrients, phytonutrients, bioelectrical energy, biologically active water and electrons. They are gifts of nature for us to stay healthy.
The essence of understanding living foods is ... if it is not broken, don't fix it. Living foods are those, which have not been cooked, processed, "pesticided" or "herbicided", micro waved, irradiated, or genetically engineered. "Cooking destroys vital enzymes, the secret to health", says the mother of the raw foods movement, Dr. Ann Wigmore. Cultures that have eaten primarily live foods have been reported to live a higher quality of health, vitality and joy. Fresh plant-based-live foods support immunity, a healthy pH, beauty, clarity, emotional and spiritual strength.
They represent an unbroken wholeness that is the original creation and nutritional gift of the Divine. The understanding that the food we eat is an energetic whole greater than the sum of the parts, reflects a quantum mechanics view of nutrition. It is the most ancient way of living in harmony with oneself and the earth.
Living-foods are one of the essential aspects of the Sevenfold Path for a spiritual life. Together we can make a difference by receiving the gifts of this course to heal ourselves and then sharing those gifts with the those we love.
Bridging the Gap Between
Ayurvedic Medicine & Living~Foods Nutrition
"When diet is wrong medicine is of no use. When diet is correct medicine is of no need."
1 ~ Introduction
- The Ancient Ayurvedic and Essene Approach to Healing
- What is Ayurveda?
- Who Were the Essenes?
- The Sevenfold Path of the Essenes
- Credo of the International Biogenic Society
- What is Living-Foods?
- Living-Foods: One of Our Keys to Outstanding Health
- Q & A: About an Ayurvedic Vegetarian Live-Food Lifestyle
- Mastering the Art of Ayurvedic Living Nutrition
2 ~ The Constitution: Your Inherited Genetic Blueprint
- The Constitution
- Understanding Your Constitution
- Prakruti: Your Original & Permanent Constitution
- Characteristics of Vata Types
- Characteristics of Pitta Types
- Characteristics of Kapha Types
- Signs of Vata Dosha Imbalance
- Signs of Pitta Dosha Imbalance
- Signs of Kapha Dosha Imbalance
- Constitutional Questionnaires & Diagnostic Worksheet
3 ~ The Elements
- The Terrain: An Introduction
- The Elements
- Ayurveda & The Five Elements
- Memory & The Five Elements
- The Elements in Life
- The Elements & The Six Tastes
- The Five Elements & Man Creation Originating in Cosmic Consciousness
- Energy, Elements & Elementals
- Discovering Your Elemental Constitution
- Elemental Questionnaire
- Return of the Elements
4. ~ Beyond Vegetarism: Enzymes & Acid / Alkaline
- 101 Reasons Why I'm a Vegetarian
- Acid/Alkaline Balance – The Basics
- pH Introduction
- pH Buffer System
- Detoxification in Relationship to Alkaline /Acid Balance
- Understanding the Acid/Alkaline Balance
- Acid/Alkaline Balance: The Cause of Disease
- Acid/Alkaline Food Chart
- Acid/Alkaline Balance & Other Food Selection Systems
- Steps to Alkalize the Body
- Alkalizing the Body
- Acid/Alkaline Testing
- How Are You Tipping the Scales
- Daily Cycle Tests
- Wake-Up Test
- Salivating Test
- Alkaline Meal Test
- Acid Meal Test
- What Are Enzymes
- What Do Enzymes Do?
- Enzymes: A Secret of Health & Longevity
- The Importance of Enzymes
- Enzymes & Living Foods
- Live Enzymes: A Must for Good Health
- Plant Versus Animal Enzymes
- Plant Enzymes Survive Gut Acids & Support Digestive Fire - Agni
- Enzymes & Agni
- Simple Kitchen Enzyme Experiments
- 101 Reasons Why I'm a Vegetarian- Pamela Rice
5 ~ Food Energetics & Biogengetic Understanding
- Ama: The Seed of Disease
- Rekindling Your Digestive Fire
- Agni & Ama
- Ayurveda & Live-Food Dietary Suggestions for Your Constitution
- Food for Vata Constitutions
- Foods for Vata Constitutions
- Foods for Pitta Constitutions
- Foods for Kapha Constitutions
- Live-Foods a Natural Way to Eat
- Ayurvedic Concept of Food Combining
- The Benefits of a Personalized Ayurvedic Diet
- Biogenic Nutrition & Ayurveda
- Bioactive & Biostatic & Biocidic Nutrition
- The 10 Essentials of a Healthy Biogenic Diet
- Biogenic Daily Nutrition Guide
- What is a Healthy Biogenic Acid/Alkaline & Yin/Yang Balance
- The Five Steps to Eating Live-Foods
- Alkaline/Acid (Calcium-Phosphorus Ratio Balance)
- Symptoms of Calcium-Phosphorus Imbalance Chart
- Calcium-Phosphorus Ratio of Foods
- The Four Transition Dietary Phases
- The Diet: Consciousness is the Essence of Food
- Sattvic Diet & The Six Tastes
- Ayurvedic Dietary Approaches: Sattvic, Rajasic, Tamasic
- Food for Good Health
- Sattvic Living Nutrition
- Live-Food Sattvic Meals
6 ~ Cleansing of the Senses & Purification Practices
- Cleansing of the Senses
- Cleansing of the Tongue
- Cleansing of the Eyes
- Cleansing of the Ears
- Cleansing of the Nose
- Regulation of Natural Bodily Urges
7 ~ Ayurevedic Psychology, Spiritual Fasting & Nutrition
- Our Mental Constitutions
- Peace through a Sattvic Diet
- Nature's Sattvic Foods
- Metal Constitutional Questionnaire
- Fasting: The Great Physician Within
- How to Enhance Your Spiritual Life
- Spiritual Nutrition: Feeding the Body, Nourishing the Spirit
- Food & Spirituality
- Spiritualizing Your Eating
- Purpose of an Individualized Approach to an Evolutionary Diet
- 7-Ways to Nourish Yourself at Work –Without Eating a Thing
- Nourishing Wisdom: Eating Consciously
8 ~ Shifting Consciousness: The Local Food Movements
- The Local Food Movement
- The Slow Food Movement
- Vegan Organic Gardening Movement
- The Edible Wild Plant Movement
- Permaculture Movement
9 ~ Living Ecology: The Nutritional Foundation for a Living Body & A Living Earth
10 ~ Supplemental
This course is designed to provide a solid foundation in understanding Ayurvedic Living Nutrition as a natural healing art and science. The training intensives will be filled with plenty of hands-on experience.
The following information will answer your questions about how to use these lessons.
(The Correspondence Course) Is the home study part of the course. Study the material and do the lessons at your own pace. Send in the lessons through the postal mail or email. We'll check your lessons and make comments and give you feedback on your progress.
(The Advanced Study & Research) Thesis Project offers you have the opportunity to dive even deeper into the teachings. Choose an area of study that you feel particularly drawn to in the course, one that sparks your passion, invites yours curiosity, beckons you to explore. Write a 5,000-word thesis and conduct a research project, to be submitted within the course study time. Also, you will be required to offer to your community, and document, a minimum of four workshops or lectures to build understanding, expertise and confidence.
These sessions are available to both support and deepen the learning experience of this course. Three sessions of 30 minutes each which can be done over the phone or through Skype. These are available to guide and advise you on your research thesis project. You need to book these sessions well in advance once you have sent in your proposed thesis topic.
Your Guide & Adviser: Shantree Kacera
During this course you will discover:
- Your Unique Constitutional Body Type.
- The fascinating interplay of the Five Elements (Ether, Air, Fire, Water, Earth). Methods to harmonize your constitutional nature (through food, herbs, and lifestyle)
- Simple Ancient Secrets to getting the Life-Force, Digestive-Fire, and Life-Essence from your food.
- The Kitchen Pharmacy: Usage of Kitchen Herbs and Spices
- Cleansing and Rejuvenation tips (including recipes for herbalized massage oils, medicated herbal tincture)
- The Sattvic Diet- The Healing Diet
- The Conscious Eating Kitchen
- Food Antidotes
- The Art of Live-Food Cuisine Ayurvedically for yourself and your family.
We'll explore the common myths and realities of the different perceptions of vegetarianism to live-foods concepts.
- Inadequate protein consumption?
- Calcium and Iron Deficiencies?
- Plant sources don't have enough protein?
- High or Low Protein Diet?
- Vegetarianism is imbalanced and complicated?
- The Diet is bland and boring?
We will focus on the elements of designing a balanced, wholesome Sattvic vegetarian diet. We will go through the why's and how's of transitioning through the various levels of becoming a healthy vegetarian to achieving a high level wellness through a Sattvic Live~Food Way of Life.
The Four Phases of Transition
Phase 1 ~ Red Meat
Phase 2 ~ Poultry
Phase 3 ~ Fish
Phase 4 ~ Dairy and Eggs
- The Vegetarian Diet in Perspective
- Beyond Vegetarianism
An important part of this course will be for students to understand the art and science of the 'Healing Tastes'. Throughout the world and in all cultures the tastes have played an essential role in healing and maintaining health. The 'Healing Tastes' is the key that is missing in our modern day diet. The tastes affect us on a physical, mental, emotional and spiritual level. We will cover each taste thoroughly in theory and in practice as we prepare our delightful meals.
This informative course will include how to create Ayurvedic Balanced Vegetarian Live-Food meals. Suggestions will be made on how to tailor your diet and herbal regime to balance your energies and achieve physical equilibrium and harmony.
Food is the Prana of all beings. Life is a continual search for nourishment: physical, mental or spiritual.
- Sacred Nourishment
- Nature of Food
- Ayurvedic Dietetics
- The Healing Tastes
- Healthy Physical Digestion Signs
- Healthy Mental Digestion Signs
- The Principle of Habituation
- The Ritual of Eating
- Bioenergetic Assimilation
- Application of Essene Food Principles
- Enzymes: A Secret of Health & Longevity
- A Basic Key to Health: Acid-Alkaline Balance
- Revolutionary Breakthroughs in Nutritional Medicine
- 101 Reasons Why Meat is Unnecessary to a Healthy Life
- External Factors Influencing Dietary Regimes
- Treatment of the Digestive System
- Creating a Menu Plan
The nutritional and dietary concepts will be based on Shantree's 35 years experience in the natural whole live~foods both as a professional nutritionist and personal practice and observation with his own body and those of his patients. Much of the information that you will be learn, along with the handouts and recipes will be based on his research and writings.
All of the recipes will be emphasizing fresh organic, live-food preparations procedures. With a proper understanding of proper nutrition and food preparation, you can develop a tasty menu that consistently balances your constitution, maintains a balanced pH, nourishing or detoxifying, warming or cooling the body according to the season.
- Multi-Cultural Cuisine
- Masala Recipes
- Nuts and Seed Recipes
- Grain Recipes
- Exciting Vegetable Entrees
- Salad Dressings
- Sauces, Spreads and Dips
- Sea Vegetable Recipes
- Fruit Dishes
- Fermented Foods
- Dehydrated Foods
- Delectable Desserts and Smoothies
Homework is sent upon completion of each lesson and is returned to you. You DO NOT need to send your reference files. You should, however, keep us posted as to how you're doing with your projects; i.e., how your reference file is progressing, reports on your herbal preparations, and progress of your plant press and herbarium.
You may complete these lessons on your own time schedule. But in order to utilize them to their fullest, we recommend you set up a schedule time to do each lesson; one evening a week or an afternoon on the week-ends will keep your momentum going. The average time to complete the course is about one year. Some students have completed the material in 6 months while others may take a few years.
We do ask that you complete the course in a period of two years. After the two year period, if the student fails to complete the course within the allotted period, the time-extension fee is $100. for each additional year.
One of the specialties of these lessons is the personal attention available to your questions and homework. We invite your comments, favorite herbal recipes, and suggestions.
Each student that successfully completes the lessons and ALL the homework will receive a beautiful Ayurvedic Live-Food Nutrition Certificate. The Certificate awarded states that you are acknowledged for the successful completion of a thorough in depth study of Live-Food Nutrition. The reputation of this course is outstanding and is recognized as superior among other professional live-food centers.
Lessons 1-10 & An Adobe DVD Reader
This Ayurvedic Nutrition Correspondence Course comes as an Adobe DVD Reader. The course is easy to follow and to keep your lessons, homework and other course material together. The material and textbooks are sent out as soon as we receive your tuition.
Textbooks for the Course
- Conscious Living e-Manual: The Sevenfold Path to Peace, Shantree Kacera, D.N., Ph.D. & Lorenna Bousquet-Kacera, 2002
- Spiritual Nutrition (Dr. Gabriel Cousens, North Atlantic Books 2005)
- Conscious Eating (Dr. Gabriel Cousens, North Atlantic Books 2000)
- Ayurvedic Healing: A Comprehensive Guide (Dr. David Frawley, Lotus Press, 2001)
- Ayurveda: The Science of Self-Healing (Dr. Vasant Lad, Lotus Press, 1983)
- Ayurveda Tongue Diagnosis (Shantree Kacera, Lotus Press 2006)
- Ayurvedic Living Nutrition: Adobe DVD Reader (Shantree Kacera, D.N., Ph.D.)
For hands-on training see our Mentorship Program for dates and details click here>
For information about the Ayurvedic Living Nutrition Educator Course click here>
“Anyone who believes that anything can be suited to everyone is a great fool, because medicine is practised not on mankind in general, but on every individual in particular.”
~Henri de Mondeville
“When diet is wrong, medicine is of no use. When diet is correct, medicine is of no need.“
Regular fee $1400
- All Correspondence Course material
- One-on-One Sessions
- Taxes where applicable
Shipping is $50 for North America | Shipping is $100 for International